According to Mozilla, HTML5 is the latest evolution of the standard that defines HTML. The term represents two different concepts:
- It is a new version of the language HTML, with new elements, attributes, and behaviors,
- And a larger set of technologies that allows more diverse and powerful Web sites and applications. This set is sometimes called HTML5 & friends and often shortened to just HTML5.
Designed to be usable by all Open Web developers, this reference page
links to numerous resources about HTML5 technologies, classified into
several groups based on their function.
- Semantics: allowing you to describe more precisely what your content is.
- Connectivity: allowing you to communicate with the server in new and innovative ways.
- Offline and storage: allowing WebPages to store data on the client-side locally and operate offline more efficiently.
- Multimedia: making video and audio first-class citizens in the Open Web.
- 2D/3D graphics and effects: allowing a much more diverse range of presentation options.
- Performance and integration: providing greater speed optimization and better usage of computer hardware.
- Device access: allowing for the usage of various input and output devices.
- Styling: letting authors write more sophisticated themes.
Here are some of the Newly added elements in HTML5
- Semantic elements For example <header>,
<footer>, <article>, and <section>. It made easy for
web developers to understand meaning of the tag and avoid messing into
- New Form input controls attributes has been added for formatted input like number, Date, Email, Tel, Calendar, Range etc. For example : you can put input tag as <input type=”email” name=”email”/>. It helps to validate email format on form submit.
- Graphics elements also added, for example <svg>, <canvas>
- Most of wonderful feather added in HTML5 is Audio – Video tag. For example <audio>
Some of old fashion elements are removed from HTML5, Look here
<acronym>,<applet>, <basefont>, <big>, <center>, <dir>, <font>, <frame>,
<frameset>, <noframes>, <strike>, <tt>